Monday, May 10, 2010

Would you put your child on a leash?

"Children of kiln workers at a brick/tile factory in the town of Dingqiao in Haining, some 125 km west of Shanghai, have been leashed to the workshop's windows with rope by their parents. It is believed that the parents of these children do not have time to look after them while they are away at work. They have resorted to these measures because they are afraid that their children will get into an accident if left unsupervised. It is also understood that these children are leashed for nearly 10 hours every day."

Personally I feel very disturbed by this article. I understand that the parents might not have the time and financial ability to take care of their children by themselves or to hire someone to do the job but is there a need to put their kids on a leash while they work? I've seen the pictures attached to the article and the child only has a mat and a blanket with them as they are leashed to the walls. I also think that the children are really deprived of many things such as companionship and what if they need to use the toilet? I hope that their parents do visit them at least once in two hours. I pity the children but at the same time I don't think the parents have a choice as it is probably very difficult to make a living in their area. I do hope that the parents would come up with a better solution to taking care of their children instead of leashing them on a rope.

source: http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20100507-214781.html

No comments:

Post a Comment